Nuffnang Ads

Friday, December 7, 2007

Australian Prime Minister Speaking the Mandarin


I've been hearing a lot about the new Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd. There's word going around that he speaks Mandarin. And so I wondered whether he just knows a few phrases & is throwing them out here & there just to wow people.

So I took on the internet to do a little bit of background research on Kevin Rudd. This is what I found out:

1) He's got a Degree in Asian and Chinese studies at the Australian National University
2) He was a diplomat in Beijing in the 80s
3) His daughter married an Australian Chinese
4) His eldest son studied at Fundan University in Shanghai


I think this guy can't go wrong. He should be able to bring Australia closer to Asia. I think this Kevin Rudd got the liao, despite the fact that he ate his own ear wax.



Here's how a mature, civilised & educated Minister addresses an embarassing situation in an amicable way.



I doubt that Malaysian Ministers can be like that. If it were them, they'd be screaming threats at the TV station at the top of their lungs, with their keris drawn, ready for blood.


This is Kevin Rudd adressing the Chinese President Hu Jin Tao in Mandarin.




Prime Minister Kevin Rudd on China Central TV



I think our Malaysian Minister should learn to speak Mandarin like Kevin Rudd. But then again, they need to master English as a Second Language first.

No comments:

Nuffnang