Nuffnang Ads

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Artsy Beng

I wish I had more time to pursue my artsy-fartsy pursuits. Painting is just one little item among a whole list of things which captures my interest & passion. But I haven't been able to do a lot of it. To catch me doing a bit of painting is probably something that happens like in a leap year, or when the next comet shoots by in a hundred years.


Anyway, as impossible as it may seem, I actually did one in 2004. It wasn't something out of a sudden outburst of uncontrollable passion or inspiration. It wasn't something so dramatic or romantic. Apparently, there was this art competition organised by Ibraco & the first prize money was RM5,000. And that was enough to get me going & I did this.

If you think that's nice, it just shows you how badly I wanted the prize money. See the vibrant colours & the strokes? Well, I didn't. I only saw $$$ at that time.

And fortunately, against all odds, it did get me into the Calendar Hall of Fame. I was Mr. February 2005.

There were a lot of other well-known artists from Kuching who took part in this competition. I was so naive then, I didn't even know who they were.

But the first prize went to a teenage student who did this.


In the meantime, my giant, empty, 3-year old canvas awaits me...


... as it continues to gather dust, sprouting spores, bacterias, cobwebs & growing moss & mushrooms. Maybe all that biological growth might by itself turn out to be a nice piece of artwork after all.

5 comments:

Linus Linnaeus said...

hahahahaha....

i know wht you mean greg....yes, sometimes it's hard...to live life and to have th time for your expressions and art....

it's a daily struggle for me....

Linus

Greg Wee said...

Hey Linus, didn't think you'd drop by. I'm honoured by the visit from a Film Director & animator heheheh. Haven't had time to really update my blogs & my readers are dropping like flies!

Linus Linnaeus said...

some of us are meant to be bloggers greg...like a certain kenny we both know...some of us are meant to be...artist and filmmakers...your readers dropping like flies...maybe god's gentle way to tell you that hey...friend...you have a life...live it....

i too sometimes want to discconect entirely from the internet....

Linus

WoMbOk™♂ said...

No disrespect intended, but I think your artwork should have won instead :)

Greg Wee said...

Thanks guys for the encouragement. It's hard to find the time to blog, but it seems harder not to blog. Blogging brings excitement to life, it's about going out there, to travel & to try new things, cos I'll know there's a reason for it. It's catch 22. Cannot also can. Can also cannot. Want also don't want. Want to cry, also want to laugh, Too bo lau jio.

Nuffnang