Nuffnang Ads

Thursday, June 12, 2008

George Lucas in Love

I first saw this film when I was 7 years old.

31 years ago, I was led into a darkened cinema somewhere near the Satok Bridge (was it Li Hua?) We were late & the cinema was packed with Kuching people & the movie had started. Everyone in my extended family was there that night.

Kids those days were not as smart as today's. We didn't have TV nor the internet, so we didn't know a lot of things. And usually adults would just ask us to shut up if we ask too many questions. So for the life of me, I didn't even know what we were watching.

Little did I know that the movie that started with the receding text A long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... & the girl with the funny hair, & the black robot was going to be the world's first blockbuster film.

The black robot.

Waisay! Like that ah? So very the movement.

Star Wars changed the world. Before that nobody knew the extent of how powerful a film can be, in terms of pop culture influence, & in the economic sense as well.


Basically it was this guy's fault.


Star Wars created an empire of fortune. There were Star Wars comicbooks.

Star Wars action figures.


As much as I longed for them, I never had any of these toys.

You must remember that Kuching was a small town at that time, & Malaysia was still a Third World country or something close to that. The only toys we had at that time was plastic ultramen.



Star Wars merchandised products. Look, it's a Yoda backpack.



And then Star Wars spawned two more blockbuster sequels which busted more blocks.


And it never really stopped. Instead, it spiralled out of control into the deteriorating prequels.


I'm sorry but they sucked.



But Mr. George Lucas became even richer, & more prosperous.

Look, he is slowly losing his chin.

But whatever it was, he's truly a visionary. Watch this spoof to celebrate his genius. It's one of the more entertainingly hilarious, well-made, short films around.

1 comment:

KittyCat said...

This is so funny! I love Star Wars and spoof movies too...what a good gag.

Nuffnang