Nuffnang Ads

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

London in Summer

I've always heard of the expression The City That Never Sleeps, and I could imagine that a place like New York would be a good example.



Or Hong Kong. When I was there, the buses & trains were still running at 12 midnite, & people were still walking on the streets, looking for food cos the restaurants were still open.

Gosh, the restaurant people & the bus drivers really worked long hours. I think Hong Kong should be called The City That Never Stops Working.

Well, here's another story. I was in London about two weeks ago, and I learned that in summer, the days are much longer than the nights.

Now, I was happy with that cos when the sun was up for a longer period of time, it meant more opportunities to stay out longer & go more places, sort of squeezing more value out of the English Sterling heheheh.

Now, I know that might make me sound like a typical kiasu Malaysian, but hey, just for your information, £1 is equivalent to RM6.50 bloody Malaysian lousy Rinngit okay. Whether you like it or not, you've got to squeeze every last drop out of it.

Anyway, back to the topic, I was staring out of my hotel window. Although jet lagged, I stayed up for a bit to watch how long it took the sun to set. It was like a staring match, one trying to outlast the other.

This was at 8pm. Imagine if you're getting ready to knock off from work after a long day at the office, & your boss looks out the window & says, 'it's a bit early don't you think?'

That would suck man. It would suck big time working in London in summer.



And this was at about 9.00pm.
My stomach told me that it was time to eat 2 hours ago. I only began to believe it now cos the prolonged daylight was playing tricks on my eyes.



And it only finally starrrrrted to get dark at around 10pm.

I think now London should be called The City with the Screwed Up Time in Summer.

7 comments:

William said...

This is because tilt of the earth's axis at 23.5 degree. That explain why places outside of equator has four seasons and longer day time during summer and shorter night time. If I am not mistaken this is primary school geography. My wife asked me why there is four seasons and the reasoning is the same.

I believe during winter time, London will be dark by 5pm.

Greg Wee said...

Thanks William for the Geography lesson. It's good to know that what we learnt in school is not entirely useless! ;)

WoMbOk™♂ said...

That would totally mess up my day.. 9pm and its still bright!

Denise ^ ChiCkyEGG said...

hey, from the 3 pics, I wanted to ask, why from "morning" until 10pm still the same 4 vehicles. when I scroll again, OMG!!! my so-called 'morning' was actually at 9PM!!!! pretty cool !

Greg Wee said...

Wombok: That's when your awesome Darth Vader Mask would come in handy. You can sleep in it anytime of the day you want! (Secret thoughts: I want it...)

Denise: lol. It gives new meaning when someone says 'Don't go out late when it's dark.' Dracula's outdoor playtime has suddenly been reduced drastically.

Heroes said...

Hi Greg, That was a great experience you had in London. While waiting for the night to come, your stomach is grumbling you also forgotten! :-)

BTW, I enjoyed a lot reading your blog and it would take more of my time reading friends' blog.....and now yours starts today.... hahaha...

Greg Wee said...

Hi Heroes. Yay another Heroes fan! Long live Hiro!

Nuffnang