Nuffnang Ads

Monday, September 15, 2008

My Ultimate Hobby

Ok. I admit it. I was a nerd when growing up. I didn't like sports, & I was into stamp collecting which was the ultimate nerd activity. Then, at about age 13, I found enlightenment. I discovered comics & advanced deeper into the world of nerdom.

Comics now is not what it used to be. Back then, storylines were very simple.

It was usually about a power-crazed megalomaniac who wants to rule the world with a secret weapon of mass destruction. In the real world today, a super villain like that would be called a terrorist.Of course in those days, they had the tendency of just destroying people's houses just for amusement. And the villagers were more amused by the weapon of mass destruction, rather than fear for their safety.

And also in those days, superheroes usually say the quirkiest things like 'Holy Macaroni', Holy Cow' or 'Holy Molly'.
And then as the story unfolds, the superhero with great super powers will face the villains.

I think Bruce Lee must have been a fan of this Miraclekid comicbook. The similarity between their yellow tracksuits is obvious enough.

And together with Miracleman senior, these superheroes practically pulverised the supervillains without any effort at all. In fact, they were so relaxed at punching the goons out that they could do it while small talking & complimenting each other.

Hey, if you were to punch people everyday, you'd soon be able to do it while eating instant noodles, doing the morning business & reading the morning paper too, all at the same time.

And that was the end of the story. It was simple. There weren't any complex relationships, psychological turmoil, depression, angst, etc that our superheroes today experience.

How to save the world like dat?

2 comments:

Abdullah said...

I can't stand to fly,
I'm not that naive...


I'm only a man,
In a silly red sheet,


It's not easy,
to be me...

(exerpt from 'Superman' - Five For Fighting)

Greg Wee said...

Yeah man. That too.

Nuffnang