Nuffnang Ads

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Ice Cream from Kuching

Last night, someone brought me a 'tub' of this.


Do not be misled by the ordinary out-of-date eco-unfriendly styrofoam container. I know the sight of it will probably make any Greenpeace activist burn themselves to death in protest, but this is Kuching after all, & certain things are still done the old school way.

What's in the 'tub' my friend, is not your everyday run-of-the-mill Walls or Nestle ice cream. This is the super Sunny Hill Ice Cream. A legend born in Kuching.

Everyone in Kuching grew up with this. If your dad never bought you any, then that's child abuse & discrimination. For this is more than just ice cream. This is the culture of Kuching. This is tradition.
Yerrdayy. Maybe I went overboard a bit there.
But the fact of the matter is that this very thing is what all Kuching boys & girls grew up with, healthy & strong. I mean, just look at Kenny Sia.

I'm sure he had zillion tubs of this when he was growing up. What a healthy & handsome looking boy. All ripe & ready for marriage.

7 comments:

ciaklat said...

yes beng, I know wat you r talking about...we all have our share of the sunny hill ice cream....

maybe you can feature the belacan bee hoon and ang tau cian look at lumba kuda (near san siaw) in your next post...

Greg Wee said...

I went there a few months ago with my camera all ready but the belacan bee hoon was sold out. Ciaklat!

Heroes said...

wow...sunny hill ice-cream is my favourite. Can courier one to KL for me??

Kuching city has a lot of good and delicious food. Besides sunny hill ice-cream, belacan beehun and ang tau cian look, the Kuching Porridge at Satok also good.

Greg Wee said...

It's hard to find good porridge in Kuching. Which one on Satok? I hope you're not talking about the one behind Thompson's Corner thereabouts.

Abdullah said...

Mmmmmmmm...Ice cream... (said in Homer Simpson tone)

Greg Wee said...

Ice-cream with Doughnuts... Mmmmmm... (Homer Simpson)

Heroes said...

Haha...I think your guess are correct! No good kar?

Nuffnang