Nuffnang Ads

Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Keldai Was Hurt

I know this movie has been out for quite some time now but I have a very bad habit of watching movies that have gone way beyond their expiry dates.

Oh, this is not a movie review, just in case you're wondering. I was watching Hancock the other day, & the English subtitles were on.

So there was this guy robbing a bank & lo & behold, Hancock appeared.

Ok. At first I thought that maybe this crook didn't go to school enough, but then the subtitles did it again...

Vout? What vout?


Oh, the vault.

Then I thought, ok, maybe the subtitler had problems with English. Maybe he slept in English class in school all the time or something like that. So then I decided to try the Malay version.

Now the scene goes like this. Hancock returns to his new friend's house. And as usual, he doesn't need to drive cos he flies. So the friend says I know you don't drive.

Now, at this point, I was thinking that maybe it was an honest mistake. Maybe the subtitler didn't get enough sleep of something, & he's dozing off on the job.

But as soon as Hancock enters the friend's house, he didn't give a hoot about nothing else except the friend's wife. So he asks Where's your wife?

Umm, I'm starting to get a feeling that this subtitling was done by Malaysian university graduates.

Need I say more?


So now, the friend is pointing out a YouTube video about Hancock on the internet.

In the YouTube video, Hancock's butt was exposed in front of children.


And Hancock replies My ass was hurt.

Suddenly realising that he was barking up the wrong tree, the translator finally understood what Hancock meant by ass.

It's things like this that make me confused about wanting to cry or to laugh. I'm just glad the subtitler didn't go with lubang keldai.

3 comments:

Heroes said...

OMG...KNS... what happen if someone only know english & know nuts about BM or the other way round?

Hahahaha..... Oh..my tears....

Greg Wee said...

Hey, I haven't gone into the Thai subtitles yet.

Queen Of The House said...

Waduhhh ... so pathetic!! But it happens all too often. So to save my sanity, I insist all subtitles be turned off whenever my family's watching videos at home. Boleh gila kalau baca! Better to hear warbled conversations on the pirated DVD!!

Nuffnang