Nuffnang Ads

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Flinders: The KL Sentral of Melbourne

I've never been on the train so much in my life before. Coming from a small city, (err, maybe it's still a town) in Kuching, there's no such thing as a train. Well, there was a train many years ago which ran for about 10 miles in Kuching but that was like during the British colonial times. And that's like ancient history.

And in KL, I'd usually put up at Cititel Hotel Midvalley, which is like next door to the Megamall where you can find almost everything without having to step out of it. So that actually minimises my train rides.


However, when I was down under in Melbourne, I had to take the train everyday cos that was the only way for me to get to get to where I wanted to go.

Train & tram rides are not really cheap in Melbourne. It can cost about AUD2.60 for a tram ride within zone 1 in the city area. And considering the amount that you pay, the train system is not that great. It is infamous for its laid back lateness & notorious cancellations.
But complaints aside, it is still the most convenient way to travel. You'd only need to know one thing. Like KL Sentral, all railways converge on one particular station on Flinders Street.

It's pretty easy to understand the train system. To know which train to take, you'd need to know where the train stops.

For example, if I'm going to Prahran, I'd take the train that goes to Sandringham.

And once you know that, you can check the display to find out which platform you'd need to go to, by looking for the name of the final destination.

The display board will tell you which train platform to go to & the time of departure (if it's on time).

And you'd go where it tells you to go.

But of course, even before you'd do anything, you'd have to get yourself a ticket first.

You can either purchase that at the manned ticket counter, or you can buy it off this robotic machine.I've always found the buttons too many too fast too furious, too many too confused, so I just get my tickets from the counter. If you're coming from the jungle like me, that makes things a lot less complicated.

And to make things even easier, I just got myself a ta-pau everything-in one-week pass.

With this baby, I could ride anything on the face of Melbourne. It covers anything that moves - trains, trams, buses, horse, ship, helicopter. I like to move it, move it.

And with that, I was on my way to wherever I was going.
Whatever you do in Melbourne, make sure that you buy a ticket.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

3 comments:

Abdullah said...

Ah...reminds me of the London underground...You could go almost anywhere in London on it...

Greg Wee said...

I bet they smell alke too.

Anjar Ganteng said...

This is my first time visit at here and i am in fact happy to read all at single place.
Obat Kencing Nanah Untuk Pria
Penyakit Sipilis
Kutil Kelamin
daging tumbuh Seperti Kutil

Nuffnang