Nuffnang Ads

Monday, January 12, 2009

The Unstoppable Flood in Kuching

I grew up in flood prone areas all my life; first at the government quarters at Batu Lintang, then later on at Swee Joo Park (somewhere behind the now 100% Discount Store).

Impervious to the calamity back then, flooding was a happy time. It was like Happy Hour. It meant not having to go to school & not feeling guilty about it cos the whole neighbourhood's not in school either. It also meant getting to play in the water. But later, as I grew into a young teen, it also meant responsibility to help clean up the mess when the water receded. That was supposed to suck, but it was still a fun thing to do.

It seemed like the world is losing control. Nothing's right anymore. I know rain is a blessing but this is an overdose.

This looked like my neighbourhood in my younger days.


And this really reminded me of how much cleaning that needs to be done in the aftermath.

By the way, this is not my house. It's mkl's. I think he won't be having a good day today.

I hope the sun will come out to play tomorrow, even for a little while, cos my wife needs to dry her keropok & my underwear needs to dry. I am now down to my last clean one.

7 comments:

Linus Linnaeus said...

hey greg.

I am home in kuching.
phone misbehaving so lost your number.please call me.

thanks

Linus

rambochai said...

walao yeh - so kintio ah ....

when can this problem be solve oooo ....

Greg Wee said...

Linus, welcome back Kuching-kia.

Rambochai, I forgot to mention that playing in the floodwater has it's danger. People have a tendency to do their toilet thing anywhere & anytime. It is colourless & undetectable.

Abdullah said...

Ooooh...things look pretty bad over there....hope things are ok where u are

Greg Wee said...

The water has receded. People are cleaning up. I'm fine. My place is closer to the river mouth so there's no flood here. Thanks for your concern & I finally got my new change of dry & clean underwear.

rambochai said...

hahaha - yeah - think about that the toilet 'shit' is coming out as well ....

Greg Wee said...

Uh, ok Rambochai. Suddenly playing in the flood water doesn't sound so fun anymore.

Nuffnang