Nuffnang Ads

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Manga Secrets Revealed!

I'm sure no two manga artists approach their artwork with the exact same techniques & processes. It's interesting to see how Hiroya Oku, the creater of Gantz, uses 3D CG modelling to help him with character poses & solving camera angle problems in the process. (Click on image to see larger version)

I've never really given much thought as to how these guys do the background art in manga. I've always thought that they were very good at drawing straight lines (seeing how they come from generations of sword-wielding samurai culture) & I've heard that they've even used photocopy/filtered versions of real photographs. But silly me, I've never realised that they've been using 3D modelling softwares to model the background sets & then render them as 2D lines.

Ooohh, Ahhh. So desu ne! That made me felt really, really stuupid.

2 comments:

Harmony the Sleepy Cat said...

Now i know too.. hmm i thought handdrawn.

Greg Wee said...

The useful things in life that we should know. They should teach that to us in school.

Nuffnang