Nuffnang Ads

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sarawak's Hidden Treasure: Tan Wei Kheng

A very long time ago, & I mean a very long time, before there was any internet I think, my Dad showed me this Chinese newspaper article about this young fella from Sarawak who painted all these wonderfully realistic paintings.

I didn't catch his name, & I didn't pay much attention then, being more interested in JPOP than anything else in our own backyard. Yesterday, as I scour the internet for some pictures of Kenyah & Kayan art, I came across the same fella once again. This time, I made a point to remember his name. Who wouldn't if you saw his paintings.

Not much is known about this guy, except that the photorealism of his paintings blows peoples brains out of their heads.

All we know is that he is from Marudi, & he travels into the deep remote interiors of the Sarawakian rainforest to be with the people there, to capture their lives.

I would like to say that his paintings inspire me to do the same, but I can't, cos I don't know how he did it.

Being self taught, he has amassed himself great skills which surpasses all. I have to admit that with great humility & disgrace.


O great artist, I am humbled by your paintings.













And you know what, this guy is the same age me. But unfortunately, that's where the similarities end. His skill is light speed years ahead. He makes my artwork look like primary school crayon colouring.

6 comments:

akatsukiotoko said...

His works were fantastic and i thought that I am looking on Da Vinci`s work. Thanks for sharing this post with us.

Dun worry, Ah beng!!! Life is about learning. We just got lots of thing sto learn in the future. I believe you can be better if you try hard in the future!!!

Anonymous said...

truly amazing....

maybe he took a photo of the people and then refering to the photo, he draws and paints them into canvas....

it will be even more amazing if he just draws from his memories....

i don't think the iban/bidayuh pose for him while he draws....how to hold that kind of pose while in the jungle....if inside studio, can la...

Ciaklat!

Abdullah said...

Mind-blowing realism mate...

Greg Wee said...

Thanks guys, you know what, his paintings have the tendency to make us feel very the small. You know, like whatever artwork attempt that we do, when you put them next to his paintings, ours look just like kindy doodles. It's a humbling experience.

Heroes said...

OMG...It's a real pic! That's my 1st impression.

brajan said...

This is out of the world artist, it is so real and his concentration is the people of Sarawak and i love it all...bravo and way to go TWK.....GOD BLESS YOU MAAN

Nuffnang