Nuffnang Ads

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Michael Jackson: The Passing of a Pop Icon

I could remember still a little Michael Jackson singing on Malaysian TV back in the 70s when TV was still transmitted in black & white. All my aunts thought that he was cute.

I wondered if they wanted babies that looked like him. Well, maybe not to that extent.

That little bugger could not only sing, he could dance as well. And he danced like nobody's business. When he did, he danced like a twister & he made James Brown proud.




Now compare that with the real master James Brown doing his original thing.


The 80s was a formidable time for me as I was transforming into a monstrous, hormone-charged, voice-breaking teen with bouts of teen angst. Music was one of my escapes from the cruel world which didn't understood me.

An then in 1983, the Grammy awards arrived on Malaysian TV. And that came with a slew of never-ending music videos which filled up my head & made me think I was an American. And Michael Jackson was cool at that time. The way he danced, he seemed like he could fly.



The way he sang was like no one else. Everyone sang words at that time. But he sang DAHH. DAHH. SCCHH-MO. And that red jacket. Everyone wanted one.

Despite all the controversies that surrounded him - the surgery, the transformation from black into white, bubbles, sleeping in oxygen chambers, his kids & also other people's kids, he has, is & will always be the indisputable King of Pop.

Although I was never a die-hard fan, I've always thought that his moves & ground-breaking music videos were the coolest. And it was difficult to see him slowly slipping away, when he started losing his marbles. I've always wondered if he could have made a come back, collaborated with some cool producer, or something. But now, I'll never know. However, I guess the trail he left behind was bigger than himself.

May he rest in peace & find his happiness in the real Never Never Land.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love michael jackson my friend ben and i are a big fan of michael jackson he is a Great singer he gave me and ben a love it made us feel happy i love michael jackson so much for ever he is a amazing singer i think my friend ben and i can sing with michael jackson he,s a man he,s a king he,s a good dancinger

Carlie said...

i love michael jackson so much he,s a good singer my friend ben and i were talking about him alot it made us feel happy my friend ben and i can sing and dance like michael jackson he,s a great singer and dancer im gonna be a pop singer just like michael jackson it,s amazing and better i love him so much

Nuffnang